Saturday, November 3, 2018

Thinking Out Loud About Immigration

There is no more divisive issue in America than the issue of immigration.  But the real problem is our politicians; our politicians use issues like immigration to divide us, because politicians have one goal: to get re-elected.  So, they never offer solutions, just finger pointing.  Every single president in my lifetime has promised to do something about our immigration system, but the system has only gotten worse.  America allows a million legal immigrants to enter the country every year, far more than any other nation.  So, I push back on the idea that America is not compassionate. 
Here is my solution; I believe it is an is easy solution.  First, every illegal immigrant is allowed to stay.  No one, except those with a criminal background, needs to be deported.  Second, every illegal immigrant should pay a fine, which is the case with almost every law that is broken.  Third, no first generation illegal immigrants should be given citizenship, but they should be given some kind of worker status, so they can be identified.  Fourth, second generation illegal immigrants should be put on a path to citizenship.  This is similar to DACA, which I support. 

Finally, the borders need to be strictly enforced and visa overstays dealt with.  I refuse to believe we do not possess the technology to track those who are in our country.  I know other immigrants who came to the country illegally, came to faith in Jesus, and felt convicted about being in the United States illegally.  Some of those returned to their home country for that reason.  I also know immigrants who were praying that they would win the immigration lottery.  That doesn't seem just to me to send them back and allow others to remain. 

As a Christian, my first loyalty is to another kingdom.  I am a citizen of the Kingdom of God.  My goal is to bring the Kingdom of God to earth.  When my first loyalty is to a politician instead of the Kingdom of God, I am violating my role as an ambassador for the Kingdom of God.  The Church needs to break away from being beholding to corrupt politicians and proclaim our loyalty to our King, Jesus Christ. 

Thinking Out Loud Podcast Immigration

No comments:

Post a Comment